Sunday, November 9, 2014
CIA uses Twitter to release facts on the Argo mission
The CIA released several twitter messages on November 4th, the anniversary of the Argo Mission. The twitter messages were some released facts about discrepancies between the movie starring Ben Affleck and what happened in the actual mission. One of the differences was that the 6 diplomats were never taken into the marketplace to scout locations. They stayed at the Canadian embassy for 79 days. Another difference between the movie and the mission was that there were 2 CIA officers sent to exfiltrate the six diplomats out of Iran not one as portrayed in the movie. What is cool about his article is the fact that one learns that the CIA has a social media team and that they chose to use twitter as the medium to convey their information. To read more about this check out the article by clicking this link http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/politics/cia-tweets-argo/index.html?hpt=po_c2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find it interesting that the CIA uses social media. I think that it is an example of how the release of information has evolved. Before, unclassified documents would have been released on paper and those who actually read them would be much less in number. Another highly unexpected user of social media is the Supreme Leader of Iran. I was shocked to learn that he has an actual Facebook page. I think that this supports the belief that digital media will have a prominent role in shaping the worlds political future.
ReplyDelete